Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combat Instances
In flight pvp sessions should be “instanced” like the current encounter mechanic. 
This would create a "location" where the ships are "docked" effectively halting their progression towards their respective destinations. 

1. Currently PVP battles are “invisible” to all but the “aggressor”, i.e. nobody knows there is a battle even the defender.
     1. Allow all in range pilots who are not engaged in PVP to “see” that a PVP conflict is occurring near them.
     2. Allow in range pilots the choice to join one side of the battle or the other
     3. Use database flags to prevent ships from joining multiple simultaneous battles

2. Allow up to X number of players to join the “defender” or “aggressor” side of the fleet
     1. The join request must be accepted or rejected by the defender or aggressor if they are online. 
     2. If a player is offline a join request is automatically accepted by the AI up to the max number joins.
     3. Maximum number of players per side 3? 5? other?
     4. All ships on a side must be defeated to win 
     5. There will be an engagement time limit to prevent endless battles
     6. Once the time limit reaches X minutes left new players can no longer join the fleet

3. If the defending party is online, they should receive a pop-up message of the impending battle so they can join the “encounter”
     1. The defender will auto join the battle if there is no response (in 15 seconds?)
     2. The defender can “attempt an escape” or join the encounter to fight back, if your escape fails you auto join the fight.  This could essentially be a reroll of the             evasion/targeting or something  else.
     3. If the defender is offline the standard GEM AI will control the defender and attempt to fight back.
          1. If there is a large difference in mod score where the defender is weak the AI prefers the    runaway command instead of attack

4. Combat
     1. There should be an array of standard actions
          1. Attack
          2. Defend (i.e. divert power to shields)
          3. Hack
          4. Run away
     2. Existing d20 combat mechanics can be used to determine outcomes for all actions.

5. At the conclusion of the encounter there will be a cooldown period that prevents the involved ships from joining a new PVP session for X number of minutes
spontaneous team vs team skirmishes abound! this sounds really cool.

outmatched ship AI automatically trying to flee seems like it could be a bit of a mess though. If my ships computer ever did anything so disgraceful I think I'd have to take it to the scrapper and get myself a new one. We'll have plenty of time for fleeing when we're dead, till then we fight to the last!
(04-24-2021, 12:45 AM)Squid Wrote: spontaneous team vs team skirmishes abound! this sounds really cool.

outmatched ship AI automatically trying to flee seems like it could be a bit of a mess though. If my ships computer ever did anything so disgraceful I think I'd have to take it to the scrapper and get myself a new one. We'll have plenty of time for fleeing when we're dead, till then we fight to the last!

Ultimately, I'd like to see player selectable AI attributes. 

I'm thinking the following

"standard" (only click fire)

"Aggressive" (use all special "offensive" consumables then "fire")

"Defensive" (use all special "defensive" consumables then "fire")

"Cowardly" (attempt to run away every turn)